OpenSimulator introduces a very cool concept called Hypergrid which is explained in more detail here. In general it means that you can link regions from different grids together. The benefit is that you can teleport to regions from completely different grids, wearing your assets and inventory.
To make it easy for OpenSim-in-a-box users it is hypergrid-enabled by default, so since it is turned on at start up you only need to link the regions together:
- start up the region
- start up your viewer and log into your grid
- ‘set home to here’ in the ‘world’ (this is important! or you can’t come back easily)
- now on the OpenSim console enter
link-region 1002 1002 ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu 9003
to set the UCIgrid region to position 1002, 1002
- if you open the map now, you see a new region north-east
- teleport there by clicking on it (again: make sure you set your home position first)
- now you are on the UCI Hypergrid!
- to come back you need to teleport home
The regions ‘see each other’ only on the map, not inworld. So you can’t simply fly over there, you need to teleport.
- To unlink the region you enter
on the OpenSim console (in this particular example unlink-region “Gateway 3000” )
Of course you can also start up two (or more) OpenSim-in-a-boxes then you always have the chance to link back so that all regions are linked to each other. The coordinates should be consistent, though.
Regarding available Hypergrids: You can find a list of HyperGrid Nodes here but I am not sure which ones are active. We checked ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003 and it was working.